DaiAn Jiang, an eighth-grader from Campus Middle School, successfully spelled hypnogenous, a word meaning relating to the production of hypnotic sleep or soporific, to win the 2014 Cherry Creek School District Spelling Bee, held Feb. 7 at the Student Achievement Resource Center. Amber Kou, who is in the fifth grade at Dry Creek Elementary, took second place, while Austen Mazenko, a sixth-grader at Campus Middle School, took third.
Nearly 1,000 students took part in the spelling bee process, which began with school bees held at 46 elementary and middle schools earlier this year. The top spellers then competed in the district bee, which began with a written spelling test. This year there was a tie in the written bee, between Jiang from Campus and Riley Somo from Laredo. The top spellers then competed in an oral spelling bee.
The top 20 students will represent Cherry Creek Schools in the Colorado State Spelling Bee on March 8. They are:
• DaiAn Jiang – Campus Middle School
• Amber Kou – Dry Creek Elementary
• Austen Mazenko – Campus Middle School
• Maya Ahmetasevic – Antelope Ridge Elementary
• Saurav Behera – Fox Ridge Middle School
• Sanya Bhartiya – Homestead Elementary
• Kylar Cronin – Coyote Hills Elementary
• Gabriella Ello – Fox Ridge Middle School
• Lauren Harper – Fox Ridge Middle School
• Sara Hoerger – Cottonwood Creek Elementary
• Julia Jackson – Laredo Middle School
• Cat Jafek – Campus Middle School
• Anushka Kathait – Liberty Middle School
• Elias Mickelson – Challenge School
• Grant Miller – Falcon Creek Elementary
• Katelynn Moon – Antelope Ridge Elementary
• Vy Nghe – Fox Ridge Middle School
• Stephen Sigman – Campus Middle School
• Ethan Peou – Horizon Community Middle School
• Riley Somo – Laredo Middle School
Congratulations to all of the Cherry Creek School District‘s super spellers!
The CCSD Spelling Bee is sponsored by the district’s Gifted and Talented Education department.
Posted February 10, 2014.