Many of us wouldn’t last a week in Math Madness, a team-based, online math competition that takes place during the fall and that features hundreds of middle and high schools from across the country competing to be national champions.
But the Math Team from Cherry Creek High School made a ten-week run that included winning nine straight rounds of competition. Each 30-minute round included seven or eight challenging problems that are based on questions used in the highly regarded American Mathematics Competition, which builds problem-solving skills and mathematical knowledge in middle and high school students.
During their nine-round winning streak, the CCHS Math Team beat the following schools, all known for high academic achievement:
• The Overlake School, Redmond, Washington
• Amherst Regional High School, Amherst, Massachusetts
• The Winsor School, Boston, Massachusetts
• Fountain Valley School, Colorado Springs, Colorado
• Northampton High School, Northampton, Massachusetts
• The Davidson Academy of Nevada, Reno, Nevada
• Martin County High School, Stuart, Florida
• Pittsford Sutherland High School, Pittsford, New York
• High Technology High School, Lincroft, New Jersey
The nine-week winning streak put CCHS in the Math Madness Semifinals, where they lost to University High School Irvine from Irvine, California, a school adjacent to the University of California Irvine.
Making it to the Math Madness Semifinals is a tremendous accomplishment, but it’s just one aspect of the CCHS Math Team’s impressive success. The team is very young, with few upperclassmen competing. Yet the team finished third in the country and had ten students finish in the top 1,000 students, out of 19,808 students who participated in the competition. That includes senior Avi Swartz, who finished 12th in the nation, after earning a perfect score on every test.
Congratulations to these nationally-ranked Math Madness students:
• 12th - Avi Swartz, senior
• 127th - Austen Mazenko, freshman
• 201st - Rahul Thomas, 8th-grader
• 327th - Derwin Wu, sophomore
• 342nd - Sarah Gao, sophomore
• 397th - Hari Sowrirajan, junior
• 560th - Siddarth Ijju, freshman
• 574th - Isani Singh, junior
• 708th - Andrew Ying, senior
• 960th - Christopher Lee, junior
“I am proud of the fact that Cherry Creek High School competed for ten weeks with about 25 students each week, ranging from seventh-graders to 12th-graders,” said Dotty Dady, CCHS math teacher and Math Team sponsor. “This is a great group of kids who love math competitions and as soon as each test is over, they teach each other how to do the problems.”