The Cherokee Trail High School Boys’ Volleyball team won the 5A State Championship on May 10, the perfect cap to an undefeated season.
“I’m so proud of what these boys were able to accomplish this season,” said Coach Terrence Miller. “We’ve been close for the past two years to a state championship, but this year all of the pieces came together. A 25-0 season doesn’t come around often.”
The co-op team is made up of student-athletes from all six of the high schools in the Cherry Creek School District. The team members are:
- Jared Delgado, senior at Cherokee Trail – will attend University of Kansas
- Jordan Wright, senior at Cherokee Trail – will attend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Matt McLaren, senior at Grandview – will attend and play volleyball at Pennsylvania State University
- Steven Black, senior at Cherry Creek – will attend Baylor University
- Jason Rhee, junior at Cherokee Trail
- Jared Meyer, junior at Smoky Hill
- Ryan Swan, junior at Overland
- Sam McIntosh, sophomore at Cherokee Trail
- Shadd Carter, sophomore at Smoky Hill
- Spencer Buted, sophomore at Cherry Creek
- Jordan Comer-Ferguson, freshman at Eaglecrest
- Slawomir Glowacki, freshman at Eaglecrest
The team competes through the Colorado Boys High School Volleyball Association (CBHSVA). Right now, Boys’ Volleyball, unlike Girls’ Volleyball, is not sanctioned by the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA), but it is growing in popularity every year.
Currently the Cherry Creek School District offers 22 of the 23 sports that are CHSAA-sanctioned. Cherry Creek Schools have earned nearly 200 team state championships and over 210 individual state championships in the past 13 years and our schools have a one in four chance of placing first, second or both in all sports each season.
This year, Cherry Creek Schools had five State Championship Teams:
• Girls’ Volleyball – Grandview HS
• Gymnastics – Overland Co-op Team
• Spirit-Poms – Grandview HS Unified Team
• Boy’s Tennis – Cherry Creek HS
• Girls’ Tennis – Cherry Creek HS
Cherry Creek Schools student-athletes also won individual state titles in events in Boy’s Swimming, Boys’ and Girls’ Tennis, Boys’ and Girls’ Track and Wrestling.
Posted May 28, 2014.