The Cherry Creek School District will implement a new calendar for the 15-16 school year – one that has broad support from students, parents and staff members. Students will start and end the school year earlier than in the past and high school students will complete first semester finals before winter break instead of in January.
The calendar change was approved by the Cherry Creek Schools Board of Education in November 2013, after a survey of parents, students and staff members showed a large majority of the community supports a calendar that aligns more closely with other school districts and colleges.
In 2015, school for traditional calendar schools will start on Thursday, August 13 and end on Friday, May 27, before the Memorial Day weekend. Transitional calendar schools will start on Wednesday, August 5 and end on Friday, June 3. Four-track calendar schools will start on Tuesday, July 7 and end on Friday, June 17.
Seventy-eight percent of the 5,000 students, parents and staff members who responded to the survey in the spring of 2013, said they supported or strongly supported the change. Less than 15 percent did not support the change and six percent had no opinion.
Supporters gave the following reasons for favoring the change:
• Fall semester finals will be completed before winter break, giving high school students a true break
• CCSD calendar will be more aligned with colleges and surrounding school districts
• Students will be available to participate in summer programs or camps immediately after Memorial Day
• Students will be available for summer jobs earlier in the summer, which is more favorable with employers
• The change provides more instructional time in the spring semester, prior to key assessments such as AP, IB and ACT tests, and before graduation for seniors
“Our Board of Education members listened to our community and adjusted our school calendar to better meet the needs of students and families,” said Dr. Harry Bull, superintendent of Cherry Creek Schools. “We look forward to the positive changes the new calendar will bring to our schools in the 15-16 school year.”
All Cherry Creek Schools calendars for 15-16 are available on the district website.