TITLE I is a federal program that provides extra instruction beyond the regular classroom in reading and math.
TITLE I is funded with federal dollars from the original Improving America's Schools Act, now known as the No Child Left Behind Act.
The goal of Title I is to provide a high quality education for every child by challenging students to meet high standards. Its focus is to accelerate students who are below grade level in reading and math.
TITLE I schools within a school district are selected based on the percentage of students on free and reduced lunch. Once a school qualifies to be a Title I school, students are selected for services based on their level of achievement.
- is an intervention approach based on the child's needs;
- uses a curriculum that meets the Colorado State Standard in reading and math;
- is a success builder.
TITLE I works closely to coordinate interventions with regular classroom instruction. It also:
- strives to help students become proficient in reading and math by scheduling support instruction beyond the regular classroom;
- helps students meet state and district standards;
- fosters a positive attitude toward learning;
- instills life-long learning skills;
- assists students in discovering how they learn;
- supports Pre-school programs, especially those feeding into Title I schools; and
- encourages parental involvement in family literacy through school and district activities.
TITLE I in Cherry Creek:
- services students in grades 1-5;
- targets small groups of students (4-6) outside the regular classroom setting; and
- meets daily for 30-45 minutes, in addition to regular classroom instruction.
TITLE I teachers in Cherry Creek are highly qualified. They meet state certification requirements and many have Master's Degrees in reading or math. They assess the child prior to entrance into the program in order to diagnose and plan instruction that will accelerate your child's reading or math level. Assessment is an on-going process throughout the year to check how instruction is meeting your child's needs. Teachers communicate with parents on a regular basis but parents are encouraged to call at any time.
TITLE I success in Cherry Creek is measured yearly by TCAP, as well as other evidences of growth. CSAP scores are reported by whole school results. However, a majority of Title I students consistently show at least one year's growth which contributes to the whole school's growth.
TITLE I Parent Involvement has three goals:
- To help parents understand and take part in the school's efforts with their child.
- Learn how to help your child succeed in school.
- Be an involved partner.
LINK TO POLICY: Title I Parent Involvement Policy
LINK TO POLICY: Title I Parent Involvement Policy (School/Parent Compact)
Title I District Office
5416 S. Riviera Way, Centennial, CO 80015