School Boundary Changes
For New Schools
Boundary changes are needed when a new school is built, to direct existing and future neighborhood students to balance projected enrollments.
For Established Schools
Boundary changes to existing schools are needed when school capacities and projected enrollment numbers are no longer balanced.
Boundary Proposals - Fall 2022
The Planning Department is currently collecting feedback and answering questions about the 4 boundary change proposals listed below. Please send your emails to Planning@cherrycreekschools.org
The Long-Range Facility Planning Committee (LRFPC) has been studying school building utilization and projected growth and decline in enrollment across the Cherry Creek School District. Recommendations will be made throughout this multi-year process.
The communities impacted by any changes will have an opportunity to provide feedback about the recommendations before the final recommendation is made to the Board of Education for their vote.
This information will also be shared at the following Open House sessions:
Tuesday, October 11, 2022 5:30pm-7:00pm Horizon Community Middle School- Cafeteria
Wednesday, October 12, 2022 5:30pm -7:00pm Sunrise Elementary - Library
Thursday, October 13, 2022 5:30pm - 7:00pm Mountain Vista Elementary - Gym1.) Proposal for the Mountain Vista Overflow area to be a permanent boundary change to Aspen Crossing.In June 2019, before residents moved into the area, an Overflow boundary to Aspen Crossing from Mountain Vista was implemented. The students from this area have been attending Aspen Crossing since moving into the area.This change would have no impact to current student's school assignment.2.) Proposal to reassign elementary students north of Quincy Ave from Mountain Vista to Dakota Valley Elementary.By 2024, the boundary for Mountain Vista will need to change. Additional residential development in the area (outlined in yellow below) will increase the enrollment at Mountain Vista beyond the building capacity. The development includes 665 new residences that could produce 140 elementary students, 70 middle school students and 70 high school students. New families from this development are projected to start to move into the area during the 2024-25 SY.
Multiple solutions were considered:A) Reassign elementary students south of the new development area to Antelope Ridge Elementary. (165 students live in this area)
- Antelope Ridge has space for 75 students.
- Buses would be needed for students currently walking to Mountain Vista.
B) Reassign elementary students west of Mountain Vista to Aspen Crossing Elementary. (45 students live in this area)
C) Reassign elementary students north of Quincy Ave to Dakota Valley Elementary. (135 students live in this area)
- Reassigning 45 students will not decrease projected enrollment enough for the new development project.
- Aspen Crossing has space for 70 students and 2 small additional developments already in the planning process.
- Dakota Valley has space for 125 students.
- The East Quincy Highlands neighborhood directly north of this area already attends Dakota Valley.
The new boundaries will be implemented for the 2023-24 SY.
- 2023-24 SY: All new students moving into the area will be assigned to Dakota Valley.
- 2023-24 SY: Students entering PreK & KG will be assigned to Dakota Valley.
- 2024-25 SY: Students entering 2nd & 3rd grade will be assigned to Dakota Valley.
- Bus service will be provided to Mountain Vista through the 2024-25 SY.
- All current Mountain Vista students in the area north of Quincy Ave can request to transfer to Dakota Valley earlier than reassigned.
- Younger siblings and current students can submit Choice transfers to attend / stay at Mountain Vista. However, bus transportation will only be provided through the 2024-25 SY.
- Bus transportation will be provided to Dakota Valley according to District Policy EEA starting in 2023-24 SY.
3.) Proposal to shift Sunrise Elementary into the Smoky Hill HS feeder area.
During the 2018-19 SY, the boundary for Eaglecrest HS was adjusted and students in the Summit & Arrowhead Elementary areas were re-assigned from Eaglecrest HS to Smoky Hill HS. At that time, it was suggested that the Sunrise Elementary area also be re-assigned to Smoky Hill to provide further relief to Eaglecrest.This boundary change will have no impact to the middle school assignment. All students at Horizon Community MS will unite into the Smoky Hill HS feeder area and no longer be split into different high schools. This proposal will consolidate the bus service provided in the area.
New students moving into the area would be assigned to Smoky Hill HS for 23-24 SY.
Current 9-12th graders at Eaglecrest HS (during the 22-23 SY) will remain and receive bus service* through the 2025-26 SY.
Current 8th graders at Horizon Community MS will be assigned to Eaglecrest HS with bus service* through 2025-26 SY.
Current 6th & 7th graders will be assigned to Smoky Hill HS for 9th grade and can apply to go to Eaglecrest HS on a ChoiceTransfer. No bus service will be guaranteed, but parents can apply for Space Available seats through the 2025-26 SY.
Bus service* will be provided for students attending Smoky Hill HS.
*District Policy EEA: The District shall furnish transportation to all elementary school students (KG-5th) who live beyond a 1 mile walking distance from their assigned school, to all middle school students (6-8th) who live beyond a 1½ mile walking distance from their assigned school, and to all high school students (9-12th) who live beyond a 2 mile walking distance from their assigned school.
Please send any questions or feedback about the Fall 2022 proposals to Planning@cherrycreekschools.org
Elementary #45 (Woodland Elementary) - New School Opening for the 2022-23 SY
Please visit the Elementary #45 website for boundary information. Click Here
Middle School Boundary Change - Approved for 2022-23 SY
The following MS Boundary Change was approved by the Board of Education in June 2021:
Coyote Hills Elementary will feed into Infinity MS starting in the 2022-23 SY.
Additional provisions include:
- The MS boundary change will be implemented for the 2022-23 SY.
- Students in 6th grade at Fox Ridge MS during the 20-21 SY, will remain at Fox Ridge MS and will receive bus transportation through 8th grade.
- Students in 5th grade during the 20-21 SY living within the Coyote Hills attendance area, will remain at Fox Ridge MS and will receive bus transportation through 8th grade.
- Students in 4th grade during the 20-21 SY living within the Coyote Hills attendance area who wish to attend Fox Ridge MS in 22-23 SY will be approved through the School of Choice process and must apply in January 2022, however bus transportation will not be guaranteed. Parents can apply for Space Available bus transportation in the Fall of 2022 and Fall of 2023.
- Younger siblings of students attending Fox Ridge MS may apply for School of Choice transfers when they will be entering 6th grade. Bus transportation will not be provided.
Please contact Vicky Lisi at email@example.com with any feedback or questions.