Career & Technical Education
Current Events Happening in CTE and Cherry Creek Schools!
Cherokee Trail DECA Students Perform at Arizona Event
Students from Cherokee Trail's DECA program attended an event in Scottsdale, AZ in November and competed against chapters from across the country. The students attended several professional skills workshops, keynote speaker presentations, and competed in a marketing communications role play with a condensed DECA exam.
Aneesh Palagati and Logan Arnold both earned 2nd place recognition in their respective role plays! In one of the workshops, Sienamarie Doll was on the winning idea challenge team and Sid, Logan and Aneesh were runner-up.
Congratulations to these students on their outstanding performances.
DECA Students qualify for State Competition
Congratulations to the following DECA State Qualifiers from Cherokee Trail, Cherry Creek, and Smoky Hill High School!! Students will compete in the state competition in February in Colorado Springs!
- Cherokee Trail: 52 state qualifiers plus 3 state officer candidates
- Cherry Creek: 65 state qualifers
- Smoky Hill: 65 state qualifiers
Good luck at the state competition!
Cherokee Trail Business students place at Junior Achievement Stock Market Challenge
Congratulations to the Cherokee Trail Business pathway students who brought home a second and third place trophy from the Junior Achievement Stock Market Challenge at the University of Denver. Students competed against 40 teams from school districts across the state in a simulated day on the floor of "Wall Street". Students made quick, real-time decisions whether to buy or sell stock based on the influx of simulated current events which impacted stock value in real-time. Winning teams with the highest valued stock portfolio went home with first, second, or third place trophies.
The students that participated include: Bennett Burton, Dominic Fish, Tegan Haddad, Anton Hammer, Aneesh Indukuri, Alex Kadi, Conner Kerr, Harshita Konda, Eliot Ming, Ali Minhajuddin, Nicholas Nogues, Randy Patino, Emma Rose Perkins, Maren Rathman, Kyle Stevens, and Rachel Vrbas.
Overland FCCLA Students place at Fall District Conference
Congratulations to the FCCLA students at Overland High School for their recent success at the FCCLA Fall District Conference! Congratulations to FCCLA Advisors Arielle Bergmann and Erica McHenry-Hutto, and the following FCCLA students on their outstanding performances:
- 1st Place in Fashion Sketch: Sugin Park
- 1st Place in Interview Skills: Theresa Amouzou
- 1st Place in FCCLA Creed Speaking: Aaisha Eisie
- 2nd Place in Pastry Decorating: Kaytlyn Sierra
- 2nd Place in Fashion Stylist: Michelle Vasquez Ganbat
- 2nd Place in FCCLA Creed Speaking: Yohana Liban
- 3rd Place in Fashion Stylist: Kiana Lewis
- 3rd Place in Interview Skills: Lillian Nelson
In addition, a special congratulations to district officers Luciano Mary and Yohana Liban for planning and running the event!
Congratulations to the above finalists, and all that competed, as they make their way to the FCCLA State Leadership Conference!
Cherry Creek DECA Invitational preps students for District Conference
Congratulations to the Cherry Creek DECA students for an outstanding showing at the DECA Vail Conference on November 6. Students competed in events like Principles of Business Management, Human Resources Management, Hospitality Services, Financial Services, and Marketing Management. Students will now move onto the District Conference in the hopes of qualifying for the DECA State Conference in 2022.
At the event, 81 individuals and 41 teams qualified to compete at the district conference. Good luck and congratulations!
Cherokee Trail now official partner to offer Python Certificiation
Cherokee Trail High School becomes an official partner with Open EDG Academy Program, which allows them to provide Python Certification to students interested in pursuing a career in Computer Science pathways including PCEP - Certified Entry-Level Python Programmer. For more information, see the Engineering & Technology teachers at Cherokee Trail - Jared Merrill, Ben Nuebel and Tony Muscatello.
Interview with Joshua Yao, Intern with Aurora SEAM
Read an interview with Grandview High School student Joshua Yao, who is a high school project engineer intern with Saunders. If you're interested in the CCSD Internship program, see the Work-based Learning tab for more information. See pages 5-6 for the Q&A with Joshua!
Eaglecrest High School's Nest Network place at the Colorado Student Media Association's annual Journalism Day
Congratulations to the Nest Network staff at Eaglecrest High School for their recent success at the Colorado Student Media Association's Journalism Day event! The staff entered work into four categories and placed first or secondar place in the entire state in each of those categories:
- 1st Place in High School Podcast: Rhyan Herrera and Isabel Barkat Podcast Link
- 1st Place in News 5A: Magazine Staff
- 2nd Place in Online News 5A: Entire Staff Nest Network Link
- 2nd Place in 5A Video: Josiah Dunkin, Trisha Balani and Carter Tulio Video Link
A special congratulations to the Co-Editors-In-Chief Jeremy Garza and Simone Beauchamp for their leadership and the Robby Gabrielli as the Nest Network Advisor.
Cherokee Trail teacher Ben Nuebel featured in Born to Design SOLIDWORKS Podcast
Born to Design takes you inside the most fascinating stories coming out of the design and manufacturing world - the surprising backstories of amazing creators, harrowing near-failures that became overnight successes, uplifting examples of the many ways our community is changing for the better! Presented by SOLIDWORKS, Born to Design is a podcast for dreamers, designers, and creators of all kinds.
Last May, Cherokee Trail Engineering & Technology teacher Ben Nuebel was featured on the podcast.
DECA students compete at Titan Invitational DECA Conference
DECA teams from Cherokee Trail and CCIC participated in the Titan Invitation DECA Conference on September 28. This was the first in-person competition since February 2020 and was attended by over 400 students. Congratulations to DECA Advisors Jess Becker and Missie Schwartz from Cherokee Trail, Kim Reiser from CCIC, and the following DECA students on their outstanding performances:
- 1st Place in Personal Financial Literacy: Samuel Luber, Cherokee Trail
- 1st Place in Hotel & Lodging Management: Janie Shin, Cherokee Trail
- 1st Place in Apparel & Accessories: Ella Hahaffy, CCIC
- 2nd Place in Human Resource Management: Divya Ganuthula, Cherokee Trail
- 2nd Place in Business Finance: Cooper Druck, Cherokee Trail
- 2nd Place in Food Marketing: Logan Arnold, Cherokee Trail
- 2nd Place in Quick Serve Restaurant Management: Izabella Sterling, CCIC
- 2nd Place in Marketing Management Team Decision Making: Gabby Church and Landon Ungerman, Cherokee Trail
- 2nd Place in Entrepreneurship Team Decision Making: Blake Wellington and Logan Milanovich, CCIC
- Top Testing Scores: Gabby Church and Samuel Luber, Cherokee Trail
CCIC Teachers Recognized by Aerospace Physiology Society
Congratulations! The Aerospace Physiology Society recognized Elerie Archer (Health & Wellness Pathway teacher at the CCIC), as the 2021 Partnership in Education Award Winner! "It is Ms Archer's dedication and ability to inspire students' achievement through an innovative learning experience that makes Ms. Archer this year's 2021 Partnership in Education Award Winner."
Additionally, Dave Wiliamson (Aviation Pathway teacher) and Paul Clinton (STEAM Pathway teacher) were also recognized as 2021 Partnership in Education Special Recognition Award Winners.
Congratulations to our CCIC teachers!
Overland Student places 8th at State HOSA Conference
Seven students from the Overland High School HOSA program competed at the State Conference in February 2021 in a variety of Health Sciences competitions. Josephina Matibag placed 8th place in Cultural Diversities and Disparites in Health Care competition.
CCSD Students WIN BIG at FBLA National Conference
Many of CCSD's Future Business Leaders of America CTSOs competed at the National Leadership Conference in June! Some of the highlights of CCSD students include:
- 2nd Place in Mobile Application Development: Anna Kriss and Beiyi Xu, Grandview High School
- 3rd Place in Political Science: Prakash Koukuntla, Grandview High School
- 3rd Place in Digital Video Production: Mae Chen and Orianna Germeille, Grandview High School
- 7th Place in Broadcast Journalism: Viravee Vashist, Cherry Creek High School
- 7th Place in Introduction to Business Presentation: Dylan Gross, Grandview High School
- 8th Place in LifeSmarts: Daniel Diaz Reyes and Devin Hash, Grandview High School
- 8th Place in Digital Video Production: Logan Biggerstaff, Derrick Hsieh and Neil Sury, Cherry Creek High School
- 9th Place in Word Processing: Ryan Lee, Grandview High School
- 9th Place in Sales Presentation: Taylor Altman and Madeleine Hemstreet, Grandview High School
- 10th Place in Introduction to Social Media Strategy: Sruthi Malisetty and Sonakshi Srivastava, Grandview High School
- Marketing: Daria Osovskaya and Masha Osovskaya, Cherry Creek High School
- Coding & Programming: Rudra Goel, Grandview High School
Several CCSD students were also recognized for special awards:
- Who's Who: Maria Barun, Cherry Creek High School
- Largest Local Chapter Membership (in Mountain Plains Region): Cherokee Trail High School
- Outstanding Local Chapters: Cherokee Trail High School
- Gold Seal Chapters: Cherokee Trail High School
- Chapter Challenge Chapters: Cherokee Trail High School
CONGRATULATIONS to all the students and advisors!!!!
CCSD Students Compete and Win at TSA National Conference
Many of CCSD's Technology Student Association (TSA) students competed at the National Leadership Conference in June! Some of the highlights of CCSD students include:
1st Place and National Champions!!!
- Cybersecurity, Challenge Middle School
Top 10 National Finalists in High School:
- Transportation Modeling, Cherokee Trail High School
- Cybersecurity, Grandview High School
- Photographyic Technology, Grandview High School
Top 10 National Finalists in Middle School:
- Digital Photography, Challenge Middle School
- Essays on Technology, Challenge Middle School
- Mass Production, Challenge Middle School
- Tech Bowl, Challenge Middle School
- Video Game Design, Challenge Middle School
- Debbie Gregg, Overland Engineering Teacher, awarded CompTIA $1,000 Stipend
Congratulations to all the TSA Chapters and Advisors for their success!
Women in Work Conference
An event that gives young women a look into the lives of career women in non-traditional fields including: Construction, STEAM, Transportation, Criminal Justice, Public Safety & Security, Hospitality & Culinary, Health, Military and Homeland Security.
Click here to watch the conference video!
FCCLA Advisor of the Year - Cherry Creek's Katie Vasquez
Cherry Creek High School's Katie Vasquez was named Advisor of the Year for FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America)! Her nomination states: "She is a Family & Consumer Science teacher who cares about her students, the quality of her program and the content she delivers. She works tirelessly to engage her students in creative ways. Colleagues state that she is a motivator for learning by making it fun and interesting, using social media to spread positivity and immerse her students into learning. She is an inspiration to all and is the hardest worker and teacher. Students say that she makes them feel accomplished with their hard work. She is like a child at heart and loves us dearly."