Communicating during a Crisis
At Cherry Creek Schools, the safety of our students and staff is our highest priority. We understand that during a crisis, every second counts and communication must be clear, timely and accurate. We recognize that families rely on us to provide them with crucial information swiftly and efficiently. Therefore, we have implemented a comprehensive communication strategy to ensure that you stay informed during emergency situations or security actions such as lockdowns or secure status events.
During a crisis, the Cherry Creek School District will utilize multiple communication channels to relay important information to parents, guardians, and caregivers:
- Phone Calls: We will initiate automated phone calls to inform you about the situation, provide instructions when necessary, and share any updates. It is essential to have accurate phone numbers on file to ensure you receive these calls promptly.
- Text Messages: Text messages are one of the fastest and most direct ways to communicate during an active crisis. We will send SMS notifications to your registered mobile numbers with critical information during a lockdown.
- Email: We will send email notifications to the email addresses you have provided to us in Power School. These emails will contain important details about the situation and any necessary actions you should take.
Situations When We Communicate
HOLD – For most HOLD situations there is no need to immediately communicate as they are usually short in duration and minor in nature. In the case of an extended HOLD, the district will communicate to parents/guardians.
SECURE – For most SECURE situations, there is no need to immediately communicate as they are usually short in duration and minor in nature. For an extended SECURE status or if a school is placed in SECURE close to dismissal, the district will send out communication to parents/guardians. The district will send an email to parents/guardians after a SECURE status with information about the reason a SECURE status was called.
LOCKDOWN – For LOCKDOWN situations, the district will send out communication as quickly as possible to parents/guardians with frequent updates and additional information.
EVACUATE – For most EVACUATE situations there is no need to immediately communicate as they are usually short in duration and minor in nature (fire alarm false activitations, odor of smoke). The district will send an email to parents/guardians after a EVACUATE status with information about the reason a EVACUATE status was called.
SHELTER – SHELTER directives will be communicated as quickly as possible to parents/guardians with frequent updates and additional information.
Keeping Your Contact Information Updated
Maintaining up-to-date contact information in PowerSchool is vital for effective communication during a crisis. We urge all parents and guardians to regularly review and update their contact details in the PowerSchool portal. This includes:
- Phone Numbers: Ensure that your primary and secondary phone numbers are current, including any alternate numbers that can be reached during emergencies.
- Email Addresses: Verify that your email addresses are accurate and frequently used. Our emails will be sent to these addresses during a crisis.
- Emergency Contacts: Keep emergency contact information current so that we can reach out to designated individuals if necessary.
*To update your contact information, log in to my.cherrycreekschools.org and click on the “Guardian Update Tile.”
Stay Informed and Prepared
In addition to our communication efforts, we encourage all parents and guardians to familiarize themselves with our emergency procedures and protocols. Understanding what to expect and how to respond during a crisis can make a significant difference in ensuring the safety of our students and staff. Learn more about the five key actions of our Standard Response Protocol.