Science Instructional Practices
At the Elementary level, students learn through hands-on experiences, science notebooking and through the Science and Engineering Practices. Students are encouraged to think deeply as scientists do in the real world.
At the middle school level, students investigate earth, life and physical science standards through the use of overarching grade-level themes. These interdisciplinary ideas allow students to see the connections between science and the world around them. At the high school level, students learn science concepts and practices in discipline-specific coursework. At all secondary grade levels, students engage with science and engineering practices, as these are universal in their use throughout all science disciplines.
Science and Engineering Practices
- Asking Questions and Defining Problems.
- Developing and Using Models.
- Planning and Carrying Out Investigations.
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data.
- Using Mathematics and Computational Thinking.
- Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions.
- Engaging in Argument from Evidence.
- Obtaining, Evaluating and Communicating Information.