Performing Arts Course Offerings
Course descriptions for all Performing Arts courses are listed in the Program of Studies. Smoky Hill offers courses in the following areas:
- Strives to maintain a balanced program in all facets of music education and the development of the each musician.
- Opportunities to play in one of three concert ensembles, one jazz ensemble and one percussion class.
- Opportunities to participate in marching band, pep band, pit orchestra and other outside chamber music ensembles.
- Offers several levels from beginner to advanced. All classes are assigned as PE credits, advanced level courses have the choice of being PE or Fine Arts credit
- Research shows those who study dance score higher on measures of creative thinking, originality and abstract thought.
- Orchestra consists of a comprehensive performance-based curriculum. Uses traditional and standard repertoire to teach technique, musicality and music theory.
- Consists of three orchestras: String Orchestra, Symphonic Orchestra, and Chamber Orchestra which perform at least four times per year. An extra-curricular String Quintet club meets after school.
- Drama program strives to give students an opportunity to learn about and excel in the art or practice of producing dramatic works.
- Four levels of theatre classes, including IB Theater and Technical Theater
- With five all-school productions annually, most students should be able to fill their dramatic interests.