Begining of the School Year
Mark your calendars for Thursday, August 12 for our Welcome Back Kickoff. The kickoff event will include our New Family Welcome, Meet Your Teacher Event (for all students), and PTCO Fair. Middle school students receive locker assignments that day and can even drop off supplies/set up lockers. We will also hold our WEB orientation event for all 5th grade students and also new students to grades 6-8. Remember that you must complete online parent forms prior to attending the kickoff event!
Welcome Back Kickoff Schedule
8:00 Doors open for new families (main entrance). Verify completion of online parent forms, teacher assignments/MS student schedules, welcome gift (Main Hallway)
8:00 Returning families enter the property on the south side of the building at the blacktop playground. Elementary teacher classroom assignments will be posted on the south windows. Middle school students can pick up schedules that include locker assignments and combos at the tables near the playground. (Classroom assignments will also be available by viewing PowerSchool after 4:00 pm on Tuesday, August 10th.)
8:00 – 11:30 PTCO Fair - all families welcome! (Cafeteria)
8:30 – 9:30 Meet Your Teacher Event - includes light breakfast refreshments. (Backyard) - All students and guardians!!!
8:30 - 10:15 Returning middle school students may access lockers. Returning elementary students may drop supplies in their personal cubby.
9:30 – 11:30 WEB Orientation Day for all 5th graders and any new students in 6th, 7th, 8th grades (Students assemble at the Soccer Field at 9:30)
9:45 – 10:30 New Family Meeting (Gym)
10:30 – 11:00 School Tours for new parents and elementary students
New Middle School Student Orientation: The eighth grade WEB (Where Everybody Belongs) leaders at Challenge are so excited to meet all of our new middle school students! New students will meet their WEB leaders on Thursday, August 12th from 9:30-11:30 following the Meet Your Teacher Event. It’s going to be a great year for WEB and Challenge!
First Days of School:
Monday, August 16 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Phase-In Day for Grades 3, 4, 5, & 6
Tuesday, August 17 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Phase-In Day for Grades 1, 2, 7 & 8
Wednesday, August 18 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Elementary Grades K-4 First Day of School
Wednesday, August 18 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Middle School Grades 5-8 First Day of School
Student Schedules & Elementary Classroom Assignments: Student schedules and classroom assignments will be available for all grades after 4:00 pm on Tuesday, August 10th. Please access this information via PowerSchool. Middle School students will also be able to pick up a hard copy of their schedule during the Meet Your Teacher Event on Thursday, August 12th from 8:30-9:30 am.
Middle School Connections: Connections will once again begin our school day. Students will be assigned to Connections within their Team. We will have Team D Connections classes taught by Team D teachers and Team E Connections classes taught by Team E teachers.
School Day: Our student day begins at 8:00 am and ends at 3:00 pm. Students may be dropped off no earlier than 7:45 am. All students must be picked up by 3:15 pm.
Early Release Wednesdays: All elementary school students in (K-4) will be dismissed every Wednesday at 2:00 pm to allow for staff development. Middle School students will remain until the 3:00 pm dismissal time. Childcare at Wolf Watch will be available for students dismissed at 2:00 pm. Any participation in Wolf Watch requires prior registration.
Wolf Watch is our before and after school program at Challenge. You may register for before and after care if you must drop off before 7:45 am and/or must pick up after 3:15 pm. Wolf watch is not available during the school day for child care once the regular year begins. To register for Wolf Watch, please visit: CCSD Extended Child Services.
- Arrival: Students may not be dropped off prior to 7:45. No supervision is available before 7:45 am.
- Breakfast: Breakfast will be a grab and go sack breakfast. Students may enter the building at the main entrance as early as 7:40 am for breakfast.
- Dismissal: Students will exit the same door they enter in the morning at 3:00 pm. Students must be picked up by 3:15 pm. No supervision will be available after 3:15 pm. If students need to stay beyond 3:15 pm, they need to be registered for the Wolf Watch Before & After Care program.
Drop-off/Pick-up Traffic: Challenge has an incredibly small, congested parking lot with challenging access to Dayton and Mississippi. Please and Thank You for the following:
- Watch for kids!!!
- Be patient
- Be courteous
- Hang up - avoid distracted driving
- Left lane exit is LEFT TURN ONLY
- The southwest lot on Mississippi is reserved for registered carpools for 4 or more students only.
- The small circle lot is reserved for staff, handicapped parking, and reserved PTCO parking.
There is a lot of information in this message, so please read everything carefully! I hope this information is helpful. We look forward to seeing you soon and partnering together to make this a successful year for our students!
David Strohfus, Principal
ONLINE PARENT FORMS: Please complete online parent forms prior to August 12! Thank you for your assistance to verify your enrollment and update important information for us at Challenge School. If you need to make any updates to your Online Parent Forms, i.e. parent phone numbers, email address, etc., the Online Parent Forms can be updated at any time throughout the school year. At any point, you may view your Forms by visiting https://my.cherrycreekschools.org. We would like to encourage you to click the box within your Parent Forms to receive information from our PTCO. Also, please remember any person who may need to pick your child up from school between 8:00-3:00 pm must be listed as allowed to pick up your child within your Parent Forms.
WELCOME BACK KICKOFF: This event replaces our historical Check-In Day. Most of these tasks are now handled virtually through online parent forms and online bookkeeping. We will still host our PTCO fair to help you get involved!
PTCO FAIR: Learn more about our PTCO, community activities, volunteering, and fundraising at the Welcome Back Kickoff on August 12.
5TH/6TH GRADE LAUNCH CAMP: There is still time to register your 5th or 6th grade student for the FREE Challenge School Launch Camp taking place at Challenge August 2-4. For more information click here.
SUMMER READING: Please find summer reading assignments for grades 3-8 by visiting these links:
TRANSPORTATION: CCSD does not provide transportation to/from school. If you are interested in the private charter bus, please email the parent committee at BusForChallenge@gmail.com. If you would like to create a Challenge School Carpool, please visit the Carpool Information page on our school website.
CARPOOL INFORMATION: The west parking lot is reserved for carpools transporting 4 or more students. This will be strictly enforced this year as we return to our “post COVID” environment. You can access the link to the Carpool Lot Application here.
PARKING LOT: View the Parking Lot map here.
BOOKKEEPING: There will be no in-person bookkeeping transactions completed at the school. All bookkeeping transactions will take place using RevTrak (accessible via the Challenge website). Yearbooks will be available for purchase via RevTrak later in the year.
- Breakfast will be served beginning at 7:40 a.m. “grab and go” style. Students will pick up breakfast and go directly to their first classroom. All Students getting breakfast should enter through the main entrance.
- TITAN is now the program used for all lunch payments. Each student has an account through Cherry Creek's Student Nutrition Center. Visit the CCSD Food and Nutrition Services website to set up an account at https://www.cherrycreekschools.org/Page/2808. Students may also bring lunch from home or deposit cash or checks into their accounts for food purchases.
- Applications for free and reduced lunch may be found at the District Food and Nutrition Services page.
- Again for the 2021-22 school year, lunch will be provided free of charge for ALL students. In order for a lunch to qualify as free, students must choose at least one vegetable or one fruit with the main entree. Families may still want to complete the Free and Reduced application because approved Free and Reduced applications serve as proof of need to apply for scholarships for activities like clubs, activities, and Immersion.
MEDICAL FORMS, MEDICATION, AND IMMUNIZATIONS: All necessary Medical Forms can be found on the District Health Services page. If you have health forms, medication administration forms, immunization records that need to be turned into our School Nurses, please bring a hard copy to the Kickoff or email them directly to the Nurses: Denise Reich (email@example.com) AND Corina Van Haselen (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you need to deliver medications to our clinic, please bring them to the Kickoff or make other arrangements by reaching out to the nurses. Clinic Phone: 720-747-7115.
IMMUNIZATIONS: Students are required by state law to have immunizations or waivers completed. Updates provided by the student's physician should be emailed to our School Nurses (see above).
- Students who have not received the required immunizations will not be allowed to register and therefore will not attend school. For more information regarding Colorado state requirements for immunizations please visit: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/school-resources
- If you choose to have your student exempt from these immunizations, a new exemption form is required to be completed each year if this is for a non-medical exemption. Here is the link for the exemption forms: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/vaccine-exemptions
CELL PHONE USE: Challenge School maintains a strict “no cell phone” policy during school hours (including lunch and recess). Students may responsibly use phones after dismissal to meet up with their ride.
LOCKER ASSIGNMENTS: Middle school students will return to using lockers this year. Students can safely lock up their belongings during the day. It is recommended that students lock cell phones in their lockers during the school day.
CUBBIES: Elementary students will use cubbies to store backpacks, coats, and lunches.
SCHOOL SUPPLIES: If your family ordered an Edukit, those items will be delivered to the school, sorted, and delivered to your child’s classroom. Please have your child bring his/her School Supplies to the Meet Your Teacher Event or on his/her Phase-In Day. If you still need to purchase school supplies, you may find the grade level lists here: Grade Level School Supply Lists
STUDENT IDENTIFICATION/PICTURES: Individual student photos will be taken on September 2nd during the school day. Order forms will be coming home from Dorian Studios.
VOLUNTEERS AND VISITORS: We are thrilled that we will be able to meet in person and return to hosting room parents and classroom volunteers! We will return to our traditional process to check in at the front desk and get a visitor’s badge to wear while you’re in the building. We expect that it will be strongly advised that all volunteers and visitors maintain current COVID vaccinations. Stay tuned for more updates!
PTCO INFORMATION: Please find a wealth of wonderful information about our PTCO (Parent-Teacher-Community-Organization) by visiting the PTCO webpage: https://challengeptco.weebly.com/contact-us.html
MARK YOUR CALENDARS:
- Thursday, August 19, 2021 - Middle School Back to School Night 6:00 pm
- Tuesday, August 24, 2021 - Elementary School Back to School Night 6:00 pm
- Thursday, September 2, 2021 - Individual Student Photos
- Monday, September 6, 2021 - Labor Day - NO SCHOOL
- Wednesday and Thursday, September 8 & 9, 2021 - Hearing and Vision Screenings
- Tuesday, September 14, 2021 - PASS Meeting - 5:00 pm Virtual
- Tuesday, September 21, 2021 - AAC Meeting - 5:00 pm Virtual