Dec. 6, 2020
Dear Cimarron Families -
Thank you for your continued support in remote learning. We know this is not easy on anyone. Your children are rocking the synchronous learning and engaging with their peers in collaborative ways. They will be much more prepared for a global society where they can meet with people all over the world than we ever could have imagined. While we cannot wait to get back to in-person learning, we continue to be impressed.
This week is the HOUR OF CODE! The world introduces and celebrates the language of coding to students across all continents. Code is an international language that all of our young people need to understand. To understand and be able to code will open doors to endless jobs. All of our students have an opportunity to learn about coding during lunch and learn all week. Have your kids grab their lunches and join NASA as they share cool information and participate in coding experiences using the Tynker tile in their my.cherrycreekschools.org accounts. Students who attend a virtual session and complete the SeeSaw activity will be entered to win prizes at the end of the week! See the schedule below for more information. Without the world of coding, so many of the conveniences and our essential daily necessities would never exist! Check out the schedule: Virtual Live Events
This week we have a few opportunities for you to get involved in our school, and they may be easier to access for you now, than in the past. If you are looking for ways to be connected with other parents in our school and support our community, PTCO has a meeting on Tuesday night. We would love for you to join us. We are currently in need of a Vice President and could use your help in organizing things like restaurant nights. If you are a whiz in social media, or have become one since the pandemic began, we could always use your expertise! On Thursday night we have our monthly P.A.S.S. meeting. This is a group that focuses on our students of color and ensuring that we are creating and sustaining practices within our building that are anti-racist and lead to equity for all students. If you are a parent or family member of a student who identifies as Black, Hispanic/Latino/a, Asian, Native American or identifies as multiple races, we welcome you to join us in our conversation this month. We are going to discuss the impact of race in remote learning experiences. We will have a Spanish interpreter present on our call.
With only 10 days of school until winter break, we want to keep a strong focus on academic growth. During asynchronous time, please try your best to get your child logged into small group or individual time so they can receive important instruction with their teacher. We also would like to encourage you to make sure your children are reading every single day outside of synchronous class. There are activities and homework assignments during asynchronous learning that are important for the practice of new skills and concepts. We know it is a lot to ask and that you have more to balance than ever before. We are desperately hoping to be back together in person beginning in January, and we want your children to continue to make gains. This takes practice, and this is exactly what asynchronous time provides your child. If you have questions on the asynchronous practice and assignments, check with your child’s teacher.
Thank you for partnering with us and being the most incredible teachers for your children. We are grateful for you and all that you do every day to set our Mustangs up for success!
Important Updates and Information
PTCO Meeting - Tuesday, December 8th (6:00 - 7:00 pm) - Zoom Meeting Link Here
P.A.S.S. Meeting - Thursday, December 10th (6:00 - 7:00 pm) - Zoom Meeting Link Here
Topic: Equity in Remote Learning - Where does race impact and how might we address needs at Cimarron?
Virtual Hour of Code Opportunities - December 7-11 Intro Video to Hour of Code
- Virtual Live Events
- Video to access Tynker (but it's also embedded in both the live event slide and the seesaw activity)
- Email Becca McMillan with any questions - email@example.com
Having a Tech Issue:
We have changed our process to make it easier to get support at our school. The form we have been using will still be active, but we are moving to a district system that will allow us to begin to solve the problem at the school and then get district support much quicker.
- Include: Child’s name, your name, the tech issue and the best way to communicate with you.
Holiday Gifts for Cimarron Families
- We know that at times we all need a little support and now more than ever, we know that finding ways to support your family in the middle of a pandemic is difficult. During a time when jobs have been lost and shifts in housing have happened, we know that you may need help providing your children with gifts to celebrate the various holidays around this time of the year. This year we are again offering support for families to provide gifts for your children.
- Email: Johanna Godinez or your child’s teacher if you would like help with gifts for your children this year.
- Please provide us with your name(s) of your child/children at Cimarron, their grade(s) and teacher. Please include the number of children in your household, their ages and genders.
- We will contact you to get more details and with dates for you to pick up the gifts at Cimarron or for us to drop them off at your house.
- Please contact us by Friday December 11th
- If you celebrate a holiday in a month outside of December and would like support with gifts for your children, please email Mandy Sheets and we will help your family celebrate by doing our best to provide gifts that match your families needs.
Remote Meal Pick-Up has changed. You can pick up lunch and breakfast for your child at Cimarron from 9:00 - 11:00 and 12:00 - 2:00 pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday! There is also an option to pick up meals for your children at Smoky Hill High School from 3:00 - 5:00 pm if the earlier times do now work for your family. See the fliers for more information.
Family Communication: November 1, 2020
Cimarron Events: Week of Nov. 2 - November 6
Monday, November 2nd
Tuesday, November 3
- Cimarron Scholastic Book Fair
- PTCO Holiday Wreath Orders begin (This week only)
Wednesday, November 4
- Kindergarten - 1st Grade Parent Academy 5:00 - 6:00 pm
- Topic: Read with your Child
- Learn some tips to support your children in the adventure of reading from our Instructional Coach, Nicole Burrell
- Topic: Read with your Child
- Link Here: meet.google.com/vcc-ybsv-mee
- Phone Numbers: (US)+1 276-738-2629
- PIN: 638 964 400#
Thursday, November 5
- Cimarron School Accountability Committee (6:00 - 7:00)
- Current Data & Assessments
- Remote Learning Plan
- Click here to join us at 6:00 pm
- Join by phone 1-402-732-7305 PIN: 713 303 970#
- CCSD Annual Veteran’s Day and Military Appreciation Football Game
- Overland vs. Smoky Hill - Thursday, November 5th
- 6:15 p.m. Pre-Game Show
- 7:00 p.m. Kick-Off
- Please join us for this live streamed event: Watch live on The Game of the Night
- Overland vs. Smoky Hill - Thursday, November 5th
- PTCO Wreath Orders
- send with students or drop off at the office tomorrow. Don’t forget to order your wreaths from PTCO - see details below
Friday, November 6
- Conference Day - No School for Students
- PTCO Wreath Orders due by 3:00 pm to the Cimarron Office
- Oct. 10th: PTCO Meeting - 6:00 pm
- Nov. 11th: Veteran’s Day Virtual Assembly
- Nov. 12th: PASS Meeting - 6:00 pm
- No School Nov. 23 - 27
Virtual Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Purpose: Discuss your child's success and growth first semester. Learn next steps to support your child in their continued growth
- When: All week during the evening and Friday during the day
- How to Attend: Sign up for a time with your child’s teacher
- Please reach out to your child’s teacher if you have not signed up yet.
- You can call the office after 12:00 pm on Monday and we will help you set up the conference
- Platforms: Google Meet or Phone Call
How do I use Google Meet
Use the link your child’s teacher sent to you
- Click on the link at your scheduled time
- Use your personal gmail account information
- If you do NOT have a Google account:
- Sent home on Monday:)
- Use your child’s school email address and password
- Arrive on time (please do not arrive early)
- If you arrive early and are denied access, please wait until your time.
- If you are late, the teacher will be waiting for you.
- If it prompts you to use a gmail address or Google Account
Your child’s Google account login information
- Email address is the Username@cherrycreekschools.org
- Password: Student ID Number
You have a gmail account
You do NOT have a gmail account
Click the link sent by the teacher
Use child’s account - sent home Monday
- Email address is:
- Password: Child’s Student ID number
If it does not work to login, email your child’s teacher and they will help problem solve.
Cimarron Scholastic Book Fair - November 2 - 6th
- Students will have the chance to see the books at school
- We have taken almost all trinkets out of the book fair to make it simple for everyone. (We will sell bookmarks and pens only)
- Students will view the book fair with their class, hear about the new books and the ones they love on Monday or Tuesday
- Books can be purchased by students on Wednesday and Thursday
- Each classroom will have a time to come to the book fair to purchase what they want if they have money. COVID-19 safety precautions put into place.
How to purchase books this year:
- Send cash with your child to school to purchase the book(s)
- Use the Book Fair E-Wallet
- You add money to an account for your child and they pick out the books they want to buy at school. The school uses that account for your child
- Buy the books online and have them sent directly to your home
Links to Help you look for books for your child/children:
- Virtual Book Fair Link
- E-Wallet Information: E-Wallet Video
- Learn about new books: Video for Book Fair Grades K -3
- Learn about new books: Videos for Book Fair Grades 4-5
PTCO Fundraisers and Information
- Holiday Fraser Fir Wreath Sale THIS WEEK ONLY
- Avoid lines and holiday crowds by purchasing a wreath from Nic’s Garden here at Cimarron
- Perfect gifts for family and friends & beautiful decorations for YOU!
Price of Fraser Fir Wreaths
- 20” Wreath - $35.99
- 30” Wreath - $45.99
Wreaths will be delivered to Cimarron on December 1st for you to pick-up
Click here for an order sheet. Must be turned into the office by Nov 6th.
- Checks made payable to Cimarron PTCO
PTCO Information and Opportunity
Want to volunteer but don’t know what is needed this year?
- We would love to have you join our PTCO group.
- President: Karen Miller
- Treasurer: Christa Parementer
- Secretary: Stephanie Carlberg
- Other Board Members: George Fick and BethAnn Ploss
- We could use help with fundraising and restaurant nights, social media and spirit wear design and sales. Join us at our next meeting on November 10th to learn how you can help
Free and Reduced Lunch Application - Online Form
- PLEASE fill out the Free and Reduced Lunch Application this year
- Title I school funding is impacted by the number of students who receive free or reduced lunch.
- With free lunch and breakfast for everyone this year, families have not filled out the forms this year. We need you to fill these forms!
- If you have qualified in the past or may qualify now, please fill out the forms. It is essential that we have everyone fill out the forms.
- Paper copies are available at the school for you to fill out.