Investing in Safety
In Cherry Creek Schools, the safety and security of our students is our highest priority. In November 2020, voters in our community approved a bond program that includes $26 million for critical safety and security upgrades and new projects. The security investment projects came directly from recommendations made by the community-based Safety and Security Task Force, which met for a year to evaluate existing safety protocols and structures and suggest improvements.
Work is under way on the following projects that have been made possible by the 2020 bond program approval:
- Thumb latches for schools – We are currently in the process of procuring the thumb latch locks and we expect to begin work installing them on classroom doors this summer. We expect to complete this project for all schools in the district by the end of the summer.
- Intercom systems – Work has begun to prepare for the installation of new intercom systems in schools.
- Secure vestibules – We are in the procss of soliciting for architects as we move toward summer. Design work on vestibules will commence in the fall. We expect construction on vestibules to begin at some point during the 2021-22 school year, starting with elementary schools.
- Fire system upgrades – Nine of these projects are happening this summer.
- Consolidated dispatch center – This project is in the design phase and will be located at the Auxillary Services Center, 4850 S. Yosemite St., Greenwood Village.
CCSD In the News
Building Forward: new Dispatch Operations Center to centralize, streamline district security and operations
Design work is under way for a new, centralized Dispatch Operations Center that will improve district security, transportation, maintenance and other support services for the district.