Team: Suzanne Ervin and Ali Palladino
Philosophy and Goals:
The fourth grade team shares a vision for promoting achievement, self advocacy, and self esteem among learners.
Our values and beliefs include the following:
- Fostering high expectations
- Fostering essential skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Developing problem-solving skills
- Promoting behaviors which encourage respect, responsibility, and caring
- Developing decision making skills
- Encouraging humor and creativity
- Facilitating the development of organization skills
Our 4th grade curriculum is based on the Colorado Academic Standards
Area: English Language Arts
Students are surrounded by a variety of good literature and informational text in a climate that encourages thoughtful reflection, sharing, and response. Areas of focus are complex literature, complex informational text, writing to inform and explain, narrative and opinion writing.
Math is a language which helps provide clarity, objectivity, and understanding to our world. Students apply mathematic skills, problem solve real world situations, and demonstrate understanding through multiple modes.
- Operations/Algebraic Thinking
- Numbers/Operations in Base Ten
- Measurement and Data
Area: Hands-On Science
Our hands-on FOSS science units are designed to facilitate students' curiosity and further promote their understanding of scientific concepts. Units include Environments; Sun, Moon and Planets; and Magnetism and Electricity
Area: Personal Financial Literacy (Mini-Society)
Students learn the basics of starting and running a small business. Concepts studied include supply and demand, balancing a checkbook, and producing and selling a product.
Area: Social Studies
Students study history, geography, economics, and civics as it relates to Colorado.